Question #1 – 20 points total
This essay should incorporate many of the concepts learned throughout the semester. It is important that you answer each part of the question thoroughly and provide the information requested. Read the question carefully!! This is a 20 point essay – a one-page response will not be sufficient to fully answer all the components of the question and more than 4 pages is too much. Plan your response.
You have just signed on as the Manager of Human Resources for a large manufacturing company in the Chicago area. Your company manufactures parts to the automotive industry such as air duct assemblies for various models of new vehicles as well as to the secondary market for these same parts. Upon conducting an audit of HR initiatives and trying to understand the challenges you want to tackle, you find that the overall turnover rate for this company is 37%. You have not worked in this specific industry but you feel at first glance that this number is high. Based on this limited information that you have, lay out a strategy for addressing turnover. You should include the following in your answer:
1. Is the 37% turnover a cause for concern? How would you go about finding out this information? (5 points)
2. What additional data will you gather to learn more about the turnover in this organization? Remember that your readings discuss different types of turnover and this should be addressed in your answer along with any benefits of turnover. (5 points)
3. Assume that you find that the turnover is problematic. Particularly, you discover that the turnover for non-exempt staff is 42% – well over the total turnover for the organization. Prepare a strategy to suggest to the CEO for addressing this turnover, specifically addressing possible causes of the turnover and solutions related to those causes. You will need to think about many of the concepts we have discussed throughout this course in order to answer this question fully. (10 points)
Question #2 – 20 points
Discuss the criteria for good cutoff scores as viewed by the courts. You should be able to state clearly what the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures (UGESP) say about cutoff scores.
Question #3 – 20 points
For this question, assume you are employed as an HR consultant for a mid-sized bank. The bank employs 200 tellers across its branches. Review the details of the teller position as provided on O*Net (http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/43-3071.00).
Based on this information, the bank decides that the ideal candidate for this position will possess the following factors:
1. Have at least a high school EDUCATION (bachelor’s or associate’s degree desirable).
2. Have EXPERIENCE as a teller or in a related field (cashier, billing clerk)
3. Be able to perform basic MATH SKILLS related to banking (for example, count currency quickly and accurately and balance a cash drawer correctly).
4. Be KNOWLEDGEABLE OF VERIFICATION requirements for bank transactions (for example, errors in check and proper identification to authorize transactions).
5. Have good INTERPERSONAL SKILLS (for example, speak clearly, make good eye contact and develop rapport easily).
6. Be MOTIVATED to work.
Question #1 – 20 points total